Sunday, September 07, 2008

First Recorded Instance Of Crowd Surfing?



Here’s a video of Peter Gabriel performing (the appropriately titled) “Lay Your Hands On Me” I maintain he is the inventor of crowd surfing.

Now, there are those who contend that “crowd surfing” was invented by Jim Morrison in 1968 and, considering how drunk/stoned Morrison was 95% of the time, I suppose that is possible. BUT – there is no documented evidence of Morrison doing it and, considering Morrison’s well-documented fear of audiences, it seems doubtful.

This footage (from the film POV – produced by Martin Scorsese) was released in 1990 but I understand that the concert footage was filmed in 1988. From the anticipatory mood of the crowd you can surmise that they were expecting Gabriel to “crowd surf”. My understanding is that, by this time, this was already an established part of his performance. If I had to guess I would guess that he was doing this from 1986 onward.

There are three things I would like to draw to your attention in this clip:

1. Gabriel is flipped onto his front at one point and immediately flips himself back – considering all the hands lifting him I suspect that this was done to avoid being handled about his genital area – which anyone could certainly understand.
2. Gabriel is ‘relieved’ of his jacket during the ‘surf’ – rather than resist this blatant theft he acts to remove the jacket. I find his apparent attitude in this to be admirable: ‘if they want it, let them have it.’
3. Gabriel’s energy level once he is returned to the stage. To me, this is the most significant thing about this clip. I don’t know if you have ever attended a Peter Gabriel live performance. In addition to this film, I also have the concert footage of his “US” performance, and I saw him live at Exhibition Stadium while he was touring to support the “SO” album. His concerts are carefully orchestrated events – every movement, every gesture, is pre-planned and calculated to give the audience the maximum experience – he leaves almost nothing to chance. But when his security people heave him back onto the stage after his crowd-surfing experience it is evident that his energy level has been boosted to the maximum and he can barely contain himself as he finishes the song. I find this very telling.

The clip is eight minutes long; I uploaded it to my youtube account. I suppose they will eventually pull it since it is copyrighted material but until they do, here it is.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this. I had googled origin of crowd surfing and found this on the 3rd page of results. Next; origin of head banging!
Tara
myspace.com/tarajaym

Unknown said...

If Jim Morrison had originated crowd surfing in 1968, what is the
probability that one of the punk bands would not have emulated it in
the 1970s? I estimate the probability is extremely low. This
conjecture supports your analysis that Mojo Rising did not initiate
crowd surfing.

Greg Opp
Hudson, MA

GP, London ON said...

I can confirm he was doing this at least as far back as 1982. Saw him on the "Security" tour. Cheers

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing an Ted Nugent album cover where he appeared to be starting a crowd surf in a loin cloth. Think it was from the 1970's, can this be confirmed.

Ed said...

I maintain that my brother invented crown surfing in 1985 at an AC/DC concert in Portland Maine. He was only 15 at the time, and was trying to get up front. He was pushed to the floor and was getting trampled when some big guy picked him up over his head and passed him foroward to the guy in front of him. I looked up and saw my brother riding the crowd until someone threw him up on stage.

Thanks for trying though

Bill Clarke said...

Well Ed, - GP confirms Peter Gabriel doing it in London in 1982 so thank you for trying but, apparently, no cigar.

JohnL said...

I think it's laughable that someone would accept Peter Gabriel as the first to crowd surf--effectively omitting an entire genre of 60s and 70s punk music. I'm not even going to dignify this post with a link as you all should do some research yourself for someone crowd surfing in the 60s.

Anonymous said...

iggy pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuT5kMoYc1w&feature=related

AGMASS said...

Gabriel was the first cat I saw do it in 1982, Poughkeepsie NY. That show completely changed my life. What a showman and what a show. Stone cold the best live show ever!

rplende said...

I think you will find that Iggy Pop was the originator!

Anonymous said...

Billy joel was recorded crowd surfing in july- august of 1987 in his tour of the soviet union